Thursday, October 30, 2008

advice about girls

The best advice I was ever given regarding the fairer sex came from my acquaintance Innocence Finn -- a man who, if barroom banter is to be believed (and it often is not), has loved more women than Casanova with both the purity of Romeo Montague and the depravity of the Marquis de Sade.   We bumped into each other by pure coincidence on one uncharacteristically balmy February night in the pub of the Drumnadrochit Inn which sits on the Western shore of Loch Ness. If you ever go, order an ale and some steak pie, but don't mention the monster.  I was passing through on my way to Thurso while old Innocence was en route to Rome where he had "a long overdue appointment with an old acquaintance".   Over ale and darts, he told me what I am about to tell you and encouraged me to pass it on.  This is what he said:

"Never trust a man who tries to give you advice about women, especially if he claims to know what he is talking about."

No comments: